The original Hall was the home of the Alington family and was visited by Queen Elizabeth 1. This was replaced by a huge new Hall started in the 1660’s with a facade of 140 feet and 4 stories high with about 300 windows. The grounds were formally laid out and included a deer park, an orangery, a menagerie and Acre pond complete with boathouse, punts and a punt gun, now in Cambridge Folk Museum. The Alingtons sold to the Bromley family, later Lords Montfort, whose extravagence led to the Hall being demolished in the late 1700’s. Pretty much all that remains today is a large cedar tree or two. The first item by Janet Morris on the list below is a good introduction, while the second item is a comprehensive book by Catherine Parsons.
The Hall and Owners
The Letters of Sir Horace Walpole – extract, 1861