All Saints’ Church

The first stone Church in Horseheath was probably built in the 12th century.  The tower was added in the 14th century restoration, which practically amounted to a complete rebuilding and gave us a ground plan which basically survives to this day.  There is much of note – some rare brasses in the floor, a stone font from the 1400’s, a sundial on the porch from the 1500’s and large memorials to former Lords of the Manor.  The first three items on the list below are all short descriptions, while further down there is a comprehensive book by Catherine Parsons.

 

‘All Saints’ Church’ – Article by Ben Colburn and Mark Ynys-Mon, 2004

‘All Saints’ Church’ – Leaflet by Rev.W.N.C.Girard, 1997

‘Horseheath Parish Church’ – Leaflet by Rev. W.N.C.Girard, 1986

‘Is there no need for your church?’ Flyer, 1984

‘Sunday by Sunday’, Sunday School book & card, 1945

‘All Saints’ Church’, Book by Catherine Parsons, 1911

‘The Church of Horseheath’, extracts from Cole’s manuscripts, British Museum, 1742 + ‘Horseheath’ extract from ‘William Cole of Milton’ by W.M.Palmer, 1935

‘Thomas Wakefield, Rector of Horseheath, Inventory of his goods’, 1668

The Monuments

‘Monumental inscriptions’ by Jane Harwood and Patrick Crouch, 1981

‘Inscriptions on gravestones and internal monuments’, by Catherine Parsons, 1897

–  The Journal of William Dowsing, 1644,  extract from ‘The Journal of William Dowsing: iconoclasm in East Anglia during the English Civil War’, Trevor Cooper (ed.), 2001

Press cuttings

Go to Top